Red Velvet cakes are ridiculously popular. The best combination is Red Velvet cake with cream cheese buttercream. If I eat red velvet without cream cheese frosting then…what is life? It’s like the best combination.
One thing I find really funny is when people say that they do not like chocolate but will turn around and say that red velvet is their favorite! Red velvet is basically a chocolate cake disguised with red food coloring.
Red Velvet Cake:
- 1 1/2 C Butter, Softened
- 1 C Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 t Vanilla
- Red Coloring
- 3 T Cocoa Powder
- 1 t Baking Soda
- 2 1/2 C Cake Flour
- 1 C Buttermilk
- 1 T Vinegar
*Add red food coloring to satisfaction.
*Cake Flour is not necessary, regular flour will suffice.
*I usually make buttermilk with almond milk
*Preheat oven to 350°
- Beat butter, sugar until pale in color and fluffy
- Add eggs, vanilla, and red food coloring to butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine cocoa powder, baking soda, and flour.
- Add the dry ingredient to the butter mixture while alternating with the buttermilk.
- Add vinegar at the very end.
- Bake 20-25 minutes/until a toothpick comes out clean.
Here is a video of the cake being made. In the video I have used the recipe above but I have used half of each amount in order to have a smaller cake.